THE KITCHEN

Wednesday, September 09, 2015


    Inspiration
    What surprised me the most was how much we actually spent on upgrading the kitchen but as they say the kitchen is the heart of the home and really has an impact on the look and feel of your house so this was one room I wasn't going to compromise on. I hope it pays off. 

    My kitchen upgrades
    • Firstly we upgraded to the Grand Family, Laundry, Galley, Extended Kitchen with Wide Island Bench
    • We upgraded the appliances too, the standard cooktop and oven included in our promo package was a Technika freestanding one which probably would have been ok but after looking up productreview.com.au the score was below average so I quickly upgraded to Blanco appliances. The standard dishwasher is Technika - didn't really care as I don't think I'll be using it much. 
    • We've chosen to include an appliance tower as I prefer to have my oven set at a higher level so you're not having to bend down to check on your food and pull our that heavy roasting tray and you don't lose out on storage space below the cook-top
    • We modified some cabinetry by adding drawers where we could, I would have liked more drawers as I feel you can better organise and store stuff in. 
    • The standard benchtop is laminate and whilst there are some decent options I had my heart set out on essastone. So we upgraded the stone on the island to 40mm and kept the rest of the benches at 20mm with shadowline. 
    • The kitchen door and drawer profile we chose is what tipped the budget but to me this was the make or break feature that would give me that hamptons  look I was after. 
    • the kitchen handles and knobs I chose were also an upgrade and if you multiply that by the number you need it sure does add up quick

    What I would have liked to have added but didn't'
    • Waterfall Benchtop- this was waaay too expensive for my liking. OMG!
    • More drawers instead of cupboards 
    • Perhaps some overhead cabinets? Although with a pantry and galley there's going to be plenty of storage space
    • Move the dishwasher to the galley so you can hide all the dirty dishes. 




    Front View

    View from inside the kitchen




    You Might Also Like

    12 comments

    1. Hi Chi its karen again!Nice Kitchen Chi!!Cant remember but is the standard technika cooktop a freestanding one?We upgraded to Essastone as well and included a window splashback (same as yours)>Is your tiles all brick layed?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi, the freestanding cooktop was part of our promo pack so technically not standard. We didn't do the window splash back the drawings are wrong instead we are having a glass splashback instead. Our tiles in the bathroom are straight layed. Hmmm but you got me thinking I want the laundry tile to be brick layed ..Bugger..bugger...I wonder if I can change it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Speak to your BC hopefully you can still change it.All of our tiles are pressed brick layed and had to pay extra which isnt a lot.We went to the house today and saw that they have put in all the windows downstairs and just noticed that the upstairs windows some of them are like frosted glass.Dont know if they normally do it like that if you are facing your neighbors house.Is yours the same?

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yes the frosted windows is council reg to prevent overlooking into your neighbours property. it should have been mentioned to you in the tender appointment and also it's in your construction drawings. I don't like em but what can you do hey.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi chi!Hows it going with your build?Ours has stop for a week now but they have put in the gutters and the roof tiles has been delivered.Maybe they are just waiting for the framing stage payment to be cleared.lol..

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Karen, I didn't get a chance to visit our house over the weekend but my bc tells me that the scaffolding for the roof has come down and the house should be wrapped this week with hebel to commence soon after. I'm hoping that all the plumbing rough and electrical rough is going in as planned also :)

        Delete
      2. Thats a good news.I was wondering why every stage they have to stop and not continuously build.I dont know if they are waiting for the payments to be cleared or materials.But the gutters has been installed and the roof tiles is just sitting around there.So i emailed our BC on whats happening.Hopefully she'll reply tomorrow.I was crossing my fingers that our lockup would be mid or end of october but i dont think thats gonna happen.Ggrrr!

        Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This comment has been removed by the author.

        Delete
    7. Hi Chi, We are also building with porter davis. We initially signed for charlton but had a change of mind and moved to Rochford34 from the lifestyle range. Your house is beautiful and i love your selections. Is the shaker profile included or did you pay extra for it?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Ahmed

        Ahh the Rochford is a nice house. We were also tossing up between the Rochford and Hoffman at the time but loved the pricing point of the Charlton. For our kitchen we had to pay extra for the shaker profile. I can't recall how much exactly sorry.

        Delete
      2. Hey Chi, thanks for the reply. I asked because I see in old threads at homeone that PD had shaker profile as a standard option and when we made our selections in late 2014 we were told it is not anymore. So just wanted to confirm, as you made your selections around the same time. Our land title got delayed and finally we have reached fixing stage.. now I am waiting with crossed fingers to see how it all comes together.

        Delete

    Popular Posts

    Subscribe